From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2020 12:31:27 -0500
> On 4 Jan 2020, at 10:24 AM, Krengel <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
> I also avoid plastic foundation.  I learned from The Graduate (c. 1967) that plastic is the way of the future, but I have never developed a full appreciation of it.  When I teach nubee classes in my beeyard, I have on a number of occasions installed two packages, one on beeswax and one on plastic.  The beeswax has always won the competition.  The bees make their opinion known.  Perhaps avoiding plastic in my hives is my response to the plastic infestation we are how experiencing in our landfills and oceans.  The bees and I both like real beeswax.  It is nice when we agree.

Hi Larry & All

For many years I also avoided plastic foundation in my operation mainly for the disposal issue especially suspect frames(AFB etc).  I purchased my wax foundation from a manufacturer in Quebec.  Their deep foundation was 7 sheets/lb which didn’t require wiring so I just pinned from the frame sidebars with bobbie pins.  The outfit was purchased by another Quebec outfit who didn’t produce their own foundation but purchased it from others.  I bought some of the new stuff which was 16 sheets/lb and found it too thin for my unwired frames.  I bought plastic foundation under protest but was surprised at how fast the bees worked it.  In a box of mixed foundation, the plastic was always drawn first.

I wonder while we have had plastic frames and foundation for many years why there is no solution for the disposal issue.  How many decades will it take to remove synthetic wax from the system?

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W