Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2020 11:56:53 -0500
> Perhaps avoiding plastic in my hives is my response to the plastic infestation we are how experiencing in our landfills and oceans.

If you look at the chemistry, synthetic wax and plastic are in the same ball park, byproducts of oil refining:

• Polyolefins are a family of polyethylene and polypropylene thermoplastics. They are produced mainly from oil and natural gas by a process of polymerisation of ethylene and propylene respectively.

• Polyethylene Wax is available from on-purpose production and as a byproduct of polyethylene production.

• Some companies have formed to turn recycled plastic into waxes. https://www.solidwastemag.com/feature/plastic-to-wax/

§

The main issue with beeswax foundation (and "bettercomb" as well) --  is that it has to be supported with wires.

And -- hardly anyone knows how to properly wire frames any more, it's a skill which is being lost (I haven't wired a frame in 20 years).

Pete