From:
Deborah Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2019 13:22:47 -0500
What are thoughts on BetterBee's BetterComb? I was taken aback to see this product offered in the 2020 catalog. I contacted BetterBee because I am concerned that the synthetic wax will contaminate the wax supply as bees move wax throughout the hive, and BetterComb in honey supers will be mixed in with cappings, that are then rendered and sold to bee suppliers for making foundation or candles.

While their customer service replied promptly and politely that the product is safe, they do not address the wax supply contamination. From BetterBee: "The virgin wax is comprised of fatty acids, fatty alcohols, fatty acid monoesters, diesters, triesters, and hydrocarbons. It is produced in accordance with FDA requirements for food contact and is produced in an ISO-22000 certified facility. All of the ingredients are food or pharmaceutical grade, and do not include an toxic or harmful ingredients. The manufacturer has been developing and testing this product for three seasons and we began doing our own research in December of 2018."

While BetterComb may be safe to use in the hive, should it be used? It is not beeswax and will diminish the quality (real or perceived) of products created from the hive. We will no longer be able to claim 100% beeswax if making products from hives that have used foundation or wax sheets for rolled candles.

Thanks for your input on this and all the topics through the years. Happy New Year!

Debbie Hewitt in Maryland