From:
Monk Benedict <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2019 12:43:30 -0500
>>To avoid negative effects of crowding on honey bee welfare, already small measures like dispersing hives with about 30 m distance could help (Seeley and Smith 2015). For developing practicable measures for the beekeeping industry, procedures should be tested in smaller pilot studies. Adapting management practices to honey bee biology in an achievable manner could mean a large step towards higher welfare for managed honey bee colonies. ... Organic beekeepers seek a more sustainable management of their colonies, respecting honey bee biology to a higher extent than do conventional beekeepers. ... Therefore, colony welfare may get larger interest in this group. ... Most of the present scientific knowledge on honey bees is based on managed colonies. This stresses the need of a holistic perspective on the welfare issue.<<

This is almost surreal and makes me wonder if the authors have ever even tried to keep a single hive of bees.  Can't a small pilot study be done by every beekeeper in his/her own yard?  The study I refer to is how to keep them alive and thriving.  Anyway, small pilot studies may not translate (and often don't) to large operations in the real world, with different pressures (aka "industry")...

And haven't beekeepers been "adapting management practices to honey bee biology" ever since day one?  I would really like to know exactly what on earth I am doing if not this...

"a large step towards higher welfare for managed honey bee colonies".  I thought I was treating to reduce stress caused by mite pressure, efb, afb, viruses, shb, moths, etc.  Perhaps I don't manage the bees so much as I manage their pests and diseases...and doesn't that lead to greater well-being (er, I mean "welfare")??  I'm going to quit doing "colony inspections" and start giving "welfare checks".

"Organic beekeepers seek a more sustainable management of their colonies, respecting honey bee biology to a higher extent than do conventional beekeepers."  What a load of bull.  I will use whatever "practicable measures" necessary to keep my bees healthy, whether that falls into the "organic" or "conventional" category.  I really think the authors are confusing treatment options with management-philosophy/world-outlook, and that's Bad for Bees.

"Most of the present scientific knowledge on honey bees is based on managed colonies."  No kidding.  Having managed colonies is what enables us to find out what works and what doesn't in all areas of (ahem, ahem, excuse me) "welfare management".

"...colony welfare may get larger interest in this group."  Which group: conventional or organic?  Any beekeeper worth their salt is concerned for the well-being (I mean " welfare") of their colonies.

The authors really should dispense with their poorly-assumed, passive-aggressive finger-pointing activistism (yes, I'm going to leave that spelling), and learn what it really takes to keeping bees keeping food on the tables of our families.

I'm done with the rant now.  Forgive me.  Thanks Pete for exposing the study (er, I mean "article").