Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2019 16:32:13 +0000
From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks Peter for the 2015 reference, it's the same year as our Biosensor paper
>stochastic component = noisethe reports of their successes since 1959 = Wood's Apidictorlow probability of correct conclusions and predictions = too high a rate of error<
Look to our paper for a picture of Wood's Apidictor.  Comparing his 1950s technology and simple frequency shifts for discrimination to modern AI-powered software and high definition microphones and recorders, is like comparing the pocket-sized, tinny, transistor radios that you and I remember to a modern day smartphone.
For the time, both Wood's Apidictor and the transistor radio were revolutionary.  Heck, I looked at grasshopper sounds in the 1960s during my Ph.D. research.  I had to have access to a Physics lab and the local TV broadcast station to get the needed equipment.  Record the sounds on tape, cut and splice sound-loops of tape, run through a high end reel-to-reel recorder/playback, and use a manually turned frequency tuner (one turn equaled 1k frequency difference) and display on an oscilloscope!  Hot stuff at the  time.
Now anyone with a smartphone could do the same, choose, snip, move around sounds, display in waterfall and any of a number of 2-d and 3-d forms, all with free apps.
Also, both my biosensors review paper and the one that you cited are based on 2015 or earlier technology.   Where we  are at with our app in 2019 compared to 2015 is night and day.  I deliberately wrote the 2015 biosensors paper to remind everyone of the history and people behind the technological revolution that is beginning to appear in beekeeping and bee science.  It attempts to benchmark the start of data-based bee management.   In 2012, we had about  a half-dozen people at the First International Workshop on Hive Monitoring, which Frank Linton organized at EAS in Vermont.

In 2014, I hosted the second international workshop in Missoula, with about 30 scientists/companies.  Frank held the third in Virginia last summer - he had more participated than he had time for on the program.  Apps, scale hives, RFIDs, bee management software - it's all starting to emerge from the labs and garages and the tinkerer's benchtops.