Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2019 20:43:24 -0400
> AFB largely disappeared in recent years, but is now making a resurgence in some areas.  And if tylan is further restricted, it may again become prevalent.

Randy,
Of course we all respect the fact that you travel the world and deal with beekeepers first hand. But how can anyone assert that "AFB largely disappeared in recent years" if there are no data to support such an assertion. We all hope it's true; I haven't seen but a couple of cases in ten years. But with state inspection being hit or miss, who knows what's really out there?

I inspected one yard back in 2008 that had about three dozen hives. More than half were rotten with AFB. The owner told me he had been treating the yard with tylosin for years, but had handed it over to one of his sons. The son wasn't keeping up the heavy dosing and they were all breaking down. I expect some folks bought bags of medication, but will eventually run out.

Pete