From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2018 15:19:47 -0300
On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 12:25 AM Seth Charbonneau

> In one of his videos Randy says "The beekeepers in Chili, they were
> getting paid fifteen dollars [for Almond pollination. There’s no reason to
> put four dollars or ten dollars worth of pollen sub in there, if you’re
> only getting fifteen dollars back. So, they have to find a local source of
> something that was cheap."
> That's kinda were my head is. I am not looking for the best, I am looking
> for better then doing nothing.
> But if its not better then doing nothing, no reason to waist time and a
> few $$, and its sounding like that may be the case.

Better than nothing is micronized brewer yeast. Lots of B vitamin for early
queen oviposition.

Anything else means to balance and grinde.

For Corn Gluten Meal here is my recipe:
http://apiaraucania.blogspot.com/2015/11/panapi-gluten.html

because of the grinding I send the recipe to the protein seller and he
makes the patties for me.

Here another recipes with
Quinoa
http://apiaraucania.blogspot.com/2013/01/panapiquinoa.html
Soy
http://apiaraucania.blogspot.com/2009/06/panapi-suplemento-nutricional-para.html

This past season I used UltraBee flour imported from USA. Made the patties
here as basically same price than mines. Ultrabee is 60% protein soit
allows a good sugar dilution and a nice consistency to work it by hand.

We basically use patties on two particular occasions during the year.

We have an autumn flow so if we do not feed the colonies at the summer flow
we will end without bees after the Autumn flow. We give between 1 to 2 kg
per colony. WE need to control varroa before suplementing.

Also at end of winter we "promote" the colonies so as to be able to mate
queens (need of drones) and make splits (need of bees and frames with food)
before pollination. Then we heavily feed those splits and colonies to
arrive to desire pollination strength (> 7 frames with bees). For been able
to do that we moved our colonies some 1000 km "towards the sun" (north for
us) and also supply lots of sugar syrup. Nosema is the problem here.

report from Chile ...