From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2018 19:56:02 -0500
Pete> On the theme of heavy lifting, I was shown a trick back in the 1970s by the San Diego County bee inspector. If you encounter a heavy hive, you can slowly lay the thing on its "back" and separate the boxes.

I read they did this with vertical two-queen systems back in the 40's when they ran colonies 10 boxes high. My thought was that they were stapled together or it was a time when bees still made enough propolis to keep the stack glued together. I've often been tempted to try it but always lose my nerve.  Good to hear it can actually be done.

As far as getting the dead-out honey back in the field I resort to freezing it and putting it back out when I have an opportunity. I'm not really sure how much of that honey gets consumed because I lose track of it. This year I think I'll mark the frames. I may have some real old honey that I'm using over and over.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT