From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2019 19:24:30 -0700

> >I'm looking forward to see if Randy can get any info from EPA.

I have friends high up at EPA, but getting clear answers in writing is like
pulling teeth.

> >Technically, though, unless acetic acid is registered with EPA and has a
> label saying it may be used to kill Nosema spores in beekeeping equipment
> it is illegal to use it in such a fashion.

Not sure that that is true.  As I understand it (big caveat), unless a
chemical is registered by EPA as a pesticide, then one is free to put it
into their hives.  Oxalic acid got stuck because it was already registered
as a disinfectant.  However, it is perfectly legal to use oxalic acid to
bleach the tops of your frames--but not if your though bubble contains the
words "kill varroa."

And as I pointed out a few posts ago on this thread, yes, acetic acid is on
the GRAS list, but even vinegar "may not be used as an active ingredient in
unregistered, minimum risk pesticides."

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA