From:
John Olivier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 11:02:26 -0400
I have done numerous tests while building and testing a 110 volt band heater vaporizer similar to the Provap 110 and have found that when vapor is introduced into the hive it almost has to pressurize the hive to reach up high especially if treating from the entrance or bottom of the hive.  Whilst there are leaky areas such as an open entrance or around a closed in screened bottom board the vapor does not always give a good coverage in the upper boxes.  I have found better coverage of vapor if the vapor is introduced into the top of the brood boxes.  With this type of vaporizer which has only a 3/16" outlet a small hole is bored int e back of the top brood box above the frame rest and in the center at an upward angle of about 30 degrees so that the outlet of the vaporizer ends up between the frames.  If there is no entrance reducer present the entrance is closed off with a dish towel.  As the measured treatment is completed in about 30 seconds and the vaporizer is left hanging in the hole that 30 seconds is used to fit another dish towel to the next hive and to load the OA dose to the cap to be used in the next hive.  I have done these tests while monitoring the results on an observation hive and also on hives with a plexiglass top where the results may be seen.