From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 14:46:57 +0000
"I'm curious that I haven't yet seen any formal testing of the
commonly-recommended placement of something over the entrance of a moved
hive in order to initiate reorientation of the departing foragers--has
anyone seen any such test?"

I have some mating nucs that are deeps divided into four sections each holding two deep frames.  Each section has three 3/8" holes on the side of the box such that all four fly from different sides of the box.  I only have one yard so production hives, mating nucs etc are in that yard.

If I just throw a couple of frames with some brood and bees in one of those two frame compartments generally most of the bees go back home.  The brood is just not enough glue to hold them.  But, if I screen over those holes right after I move the frames and do not remove the screen until about 10AM the next day the bees stay just fine.  Without the screen in a matter of minutes there is a steady stream of bees coming out the holes and immediately flying off.  Even early the next morning this behavior continues.  Few of those bees come back.  Most go to the old location.  But, after being screened in over nite the behavior is very different.  The bees come out of the holes very slowly, often crawl around the area and often go back in the compartment.  When they fly they first orient before leaving.  The vast majority stay in the new location.

Last year I moved three strong nucs into my neighbors dead outs in mid morning of a beautiful day.  The move was about 250 yards.  I put a ratchet strap around the bottom board, boxes and top to hold it all together.  I screened the entrances the night before the move.  I moved them some distance on a hand dolly then in the wagon behind my lawn tractor.  They got real bounced around.  At the new location I pulled frames of brood and put in the new boxes.  I brushed bees off other frames into the new boxes.  I put the tops on the new boxes and went home.  I would estimate no more than 200 bees went back to the old location.

I think screening over nite helps a lot.  I also think some rough handling makes them realize some trauma has taken place and it might be a good idea to survey the surroundings before flying.

Dick