From:
Beekeepers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2019 09:59:29 +0100
For me, there is nothing to compare with ling heather (Calluna vulgaris) honey - a rich almost toffee like flavour and a perfume that fills the room very quickly if you open a jar; it makes wonderful cut comb due to its thixotropic properties and I just have to eat some of the trimmings!

The worst is ragwort (Senecio jacobaea).  The first time that I saw it in the comb the honey looked rich, dark and golden and the cappings stained a deep yellow - looked good - and when I tasted it the flavour seemed good initially; then the bitterness kicked in and I was left with that foul taste for around half an hour.

Fortunately we rarely get much of it these days as landowners clear it because of the danger of poisoning livestock.  Most of it is seen on roadside verges.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W