Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2020 07:40:55 +1000
From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
>The present study of the Asian honey bee Apis dorsata, suggests that although the moon's illumination is essential for nocturnal flight, the moon itself is ignored for orienting the dances. I observed trees busy at night with pollinators — A. dorsata and Xylocopa sp.

The ability of dorsata to fly at night has presented a biosecurity problem at airport such a Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia when they are loading freight or luggage at night.  Individual dorsata have been found dead in the cargo bay of aircraft from Kuala Lumpur when they land in Australia.  The consensus is that they have flown in at night.  Apparently dorsata are attracted to blue lights also.

Apparently dorsata queens mate at sunset.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia