Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2020 13:39:14 +0000
7bit
Sender:
From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
" I have found that most bees from various locations in Canada including some imported California queens have been able to overwinter well with the right preparation."

I find this a really interesting statement.  I have heard over and over that southern queens were junk because they did not deal with winters down in the northern part of the 48.  I have always found this frustrating as my limited experience is southern queens do just as well in NE Ohio as local raised queens.  I think the issue of wintering here is nearly all about mites and has nearly nothing to do with where a queen was produced personally.  I also know I am in the minority in that belief.

Could you please explain in a little more detail what you consider the right preparation for winter?  Insulate hives?  Top insulation only?  Amount of stores?  Ventilation issues?  Keeping the bottom entrance open when you have three feet of snow on the ground?  Etc.

Dick