Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2019 19:06:35 +0000
7bit
Sender:
From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
" I use glass because I remember from chemistry class in high school that acids and metals may produce toxic gases such as WW1 nerve gases."

The biggest danger is the acid will react with the metal producing hydrogen gas.  Hydrogen is no problem if it is in the open as it will rapidly dilute and dissipate.  In a confined space it will build up and at some ratios with air produces quite an excellent explosion if ignited.  I think you are wise to use glass.

WWI gasses were mainly chlorine.  Chlorine is not so easy to produce by accident.  But ammonia and beach will produce a mixture of the three different chloramines if combined.  Chloramines are very volatile and smell very much like chlorine.  If the fumes are breathed you will get the worst cough you have ever experienced much like you get from breathing chlorine.  Some chloramines are also explosive and sensitive to heat or shock.  Every once in a while I hear of someone trying to clean a sink with bleach plus household ammonia with very bad results.  Do not try it.

Dick