From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:07:24 -0400
By now, many BEE-L participants know that Newfoundland and Labrador (Canada) is the only part of North America that remains Varroa-free, and that we are in the process of developing a Varroa Action Plan (VAP).  Our provincial ANIMAL HEALTH AND PROTECTION ACT and associated regulations are quite outdated and need revision ASAP to assist with the implementation of our VAP. One revision that would help is a regulation requiring beekeeper and/or apiary registration with the provincial apiarist.  We are currently the only province in Canada, apart from PEI, that lacks some kind of mandatory registration.

Good knowledge of apiary locations is crucial it would seem if we intercept early a Varroa incursion and want to conduct a delimitation survey,  possibly with the view to establishing quarantine boundaries and attempting eradication (if the spread is confined to a small geographic area).

I need some quotes from beeks who support mandatory registration, particularly in jurisdictions that have it.  To the best of my knowledge, registration was first implemented by various governments in order to deal with foulbrood epidemics.  The logic behind registration remains the same today.

If you have something quotable to say in favour of registration that I can use in an upcoming NL Beekeeping Association newsletter, please let me know at your earliest convenience.  Posts in response to this post will work also. Thanks! Peter Armitage

*PS - I am well aware of the objections of beeks who do not support registration. I don't need to hear from those folks, thank you.