From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2020 00:05:48 -0400
We've been having a very cool summer (High 23C | Low -4C - June  Average of 10C / High 23C | Low 0C - July Average of 12.6C)
Currently have 10 hives in 3 separate locations (each hive has monitoring equipment installed).

1st part of June is typically wet and cool followed by warm. The bees typically go gangbusters on pollen in May and early June (Willows and wildflowers) and store up a frame or 2 in anticipation of the typical nectar flow in July. This year the native wildflower have been in bloom for most of May and now into July (cool wet). My double brood hives have  8 to 12 full frames of pollen. Some of the brood nests are pollen bound with any emerged bee cells filled with pollen. It is so bad that I now have to pull some of my honey supers to feed to push my queens to increase their laying (increase pollen consumption) in preparation for the winter bee rearing (next generation of bees will raise the winter bees up here).  My lower boxes have 7 frames of pollen and the 2nd and 9th position frames in the upper brood box are full pollen frames. I likely have equivalent to 10 frames of pollen, 2 honey and 8 brood frames in each of these hives. My doubles are full of bees ~50K to 60K. We are hopefully heading into a good fireweed nectar flow in the next week or so. But I need come up with a game plan to get the bees to consume this pollen before mid August as I need the storage real estate to store sugar syrup honey (better in my cold climate).

Lots of Questions:

-Has anyone else seen the cool weather impact on flowers where they are able to produce great pollen but nectar output is poor?
-How do people "manage" pollen frames? Any tricks to get bees to consume these?
-Has anyone ever done a summer brood box reversal? to push the bees up through the pollen?
-Does bee bread nutritional value maintain if stored at 10C (my storage shed summer temperature)?