From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2020 02:04:06 +0000
This hypothesis first showed up on Facebook, with glowing headlines implying that bee venom was as good as or better than a vaccine.   My response was to point out that there was no confirmation of this.  The poster quickly pointed me to the URL we've all seen and yet another, equally iffy paper.   Obviously, the poster didn't read either of the articles.
My fear is that just as some folks are aiming for the Darwin award by taking fish medicine or consuming bleach, someone might actually believe that bee stings convey immunity.
There is no doubt that bee venom affects our immune systems.   The classic example is arthritis.   I have near total immunity to bee stings, and I have been stung multiple times every year since 1973.  Still, I've arthritis in my thumbs and elbows, and x-rays of joints and spine make the doctors wince.
On the other hand, my father injured a finger on his left hand and for most of his life, it wouldn't bend.  He was highly allergic to wasp venom.  One day during corn harvest, a wasp sitting on the tractor steering wheel nailed his left hand as he got on to drive.   His hand swelled to the point it looked like a balloon.  When he took off his watch, the swelling moved like a wave up his forearm.  We rushed him to emergency where he got an epi-shot.   After the swelling went down, the joint was free and remained that way for the rest of his life.

However, I suspect that his reaction to the wasp venom not only caused his immune system to go into panic mode, but it may have physically broken something loose in his finger joint.
As per Randy's thought - has anyone on this list contracted COVID-19?  Considering I've had some students in our ONLINE classes contract it, it's reasonable to think that there is a sample set of enough people on Bee-L to expect at least a few with confirmed cases.
Like James Fischer's wife, I may have had it.

In February, I went to the University Health Service for my second Shingles shot.  The first shot was like a mild case of flu.

A few days after the second, I had aches, pains, high fever, and extreme fatigue.  It took about two - three weeks to recover.  I have had pneumonia twice, the second time was almost fatal.

This 'Shingles' reaction was atypical and was not like what happened after my first shot.   I commented at the time that it felt like pneumonia with the fatigue and the late afternoon, all night fever and drenching sweats.

Considering that I got the shot at the Student Health Center, and we have a fair number of foreign students, I have to wonder.   Maybe it was just Shingles, maybe something else.  Unfortunately, we still don't have access to tests for the curious.

Our state is reserving the tests for folks displaying symptoms.   They are now sending out mobile testing units to remote areas - we just had new cases on the Crow Nation.   Our rural counties have gotten off fairly easy, but then again, they've had no testing at all.   Given the geographic isolation, they may be lucky and not have any cases.   But with no testing and the nearest doctors often a hundred or more miles away from ranches, we probably only see the few who are undeniably sick.  The state, having been fortunate enough to see no new deaths and only a sprinkling of confirmed cases is trying to see what's happening in the rural counties.

Jerry