Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2019 09:23:04 -0500

> This echoes what we saw, mite levels remained high even with multiple
> treatments. But the second part, "area-wide efforts," good luck with that.

The common thread of the northern beekeepers, including me, is that mite
loads remain low through most of the year and the usual treatment in late
August or early September does not work. You have great results but lose
hives over the winter to mites. All because of the mite bombs in late
September or October. I generally go from near zero mites in late August
(mite drop to sticky board after an OAV treatment) to hundreds in October.
It is then that I go to multiple OAV treatments until I get back to my near
zero mites. I do not bother in September since I will get more mite bombs
until mid October, the time that bees stop flying.

I run into many beekeepers who lose bees in the autumn or winter after
achieving great results treating earlier than October. I am sure that they
are the respondents who answer that they monitor and treat but still lose
bees.

I monitor in early spring, July/August (after first extraction), September
(after second extraction) and October using OAV and sticky boards to get,
what I consider, the most accurate mite count with the least possible harm
to my bees. So my position is to monitor and not go by the calendar.
Usually treat by the calendar results in treating when you do not need to
and not treating when you need to.

If you are a mite watcher, your problem is not with your hives but with
those around you.Which is why I mentor any of the beekeepers in the area
who want my help. Part of that mentoring is to agree to monitor/treat as I
do.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine