From:
Tracey Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2019 15:53:12 -0400
Hi all,

I'm currently attempting the sisyphean task of identifying the floral origins of the 2019 honey crop. I'm hoping maybe one of you can help.

I think I may have some ribes honey- blackcurrant or something of that ilk, based on the pollen I'm seeing. Is anyone familiar with the colour and flavour profile of blackcurrant honey? It's not a honey I'm familiar with and neither google nor the books in my library are helping me much.

The honey is from a beekeeper who did BC blueberry pollination, so it's from BC's Fraser Valley. I imagine currants may have been blooming at the same time.

The tail of the flavour profile has a distinct blueberry taste, so no doubt there is blueberry nectar. The front end of the profile has a smooth butteriness, reminiscent of clover but with no sharpness. However, the pollen seems to be mostly currant or something.

Could someone compare flavour and colour profiles of blueberry and currant honey, or just describe something about currant honey? Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tracey