From:
Tracey Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:04:33 -0500
Peter Loring Borst- your second reference on this topic is peculiar and confusing to me.

You quote the article: "In this study, however, no increase in mortality rate among bees related to the percentage of honeydew honey in winter stores was found."

This is preceded by a sentence that acknowledges other studies have found increased mortality with honeydew in winter reserves. It is followed by a sentence that seems to suggest their own results may have been affected by the location of honeydew reserves in the hive and actual access to those reserves.

The part I don't understand: this sentence also appears to squirm out of their own results. Table 5 clearly shows colonies overwintered on sugar syrup alone had lower winter mortality than colonies wintered with "different contents of honeydew honey in winter stores" (0.8% vs 4.9% losses & a significant difference).

I can only interpret their results to mean they didn't see any differences between the percentage of honeydew in overwinter stores and winter losses, but they did see a difference in presence/absence of honeydew and winter losses.

Their final sentence seems to be a better choice to quote: "In view of this study it should be concluded that the effect of honeydew honey on the health status of wintering bee colonies is a combined result of its negative impact on the bee body that contributes to increased bee mortality" and an inhibitory effect of honeydew honey on nosema.

Overall, the study is a bit of an odd one. I think it's interesting to propose nosema seems to be inhibited by honeydew, but then thinking of Etienne's hives, riddled with nosema and feeding on honeydew, I have a bit of trouble with the conclusion. The study was done in Poland, so I assume the honeydew and associated fungal and bacterial communities were different.