From:
Randall Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:03:58 -0500
On 2/19/2019 10:49 AM, Lionel wrote:
> I wonder how many farmers could survive with 30-35% losses?

I'm not a farmer so I'm genuinely interested in the answer to this
question: How many chicks does a commercial chicken operation have to
start out with in order to have X number of fryers/broilers/whatever for
sale? I do keep hobby chickens and I expect a ten percent loss in
day-old chicks right from the start, with other losses as they go on.

With respect to honey bees, Peter Borst wrote a great article on this
topic in the ABJ in 2015, where he pointed out that the current
"unprecedented losses" aren't unprecedented at all: the bee magazines of
the 1940's and 50's lament similar percentage losses. See “The Fall and
Rise of the Honey Bee”, American Bee Journal, March 2015, p. 315.

Randall Austin