From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:44:35 -0400
>I'm looking onto sleeving the hole with the next size up copper tubing, or something else metal, to avoid hole distortion.

I don't quite understand the aversion to front application with the Pro Vap 110. I have fabricated a couple of entrance shields that are simple and work very well. I use standard solid reversible bottoms but always with the 3/4 side up. They get reducers to 3/8 X 6" for winter. The shield is made from 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 90 degree L metal flashing. Readily available at any building supply. Cut a piece about 1/2" shorter than the opening (14-1/2"). Cut another piece about 1-1/2" for the slide adjuster. On one end of the long piece make a cut on the vertical face from the top 1' in from the end and down 3/8" and fold the tab over 180 degrees to form a channel for the adjuster to slide in. Slip the adjuster in and make a snug but easily slide-able fit. You need to cut enough off the top edge of the slide so it fits the flashing fold. On the side of the slide innermost make a cut 1" in and around 1/2" deep and fold the tab up 90 degrees to form a finger push tab. The shield will now sit nicely on the bottom board and over the entrance and the slide adjustment will make a close fit for any variation in opening size. In the center of the vertical face drill a 9/32" hole ( to allow an easy insertion ) 5/8" up from the bottom. Finally for easy handling I tack 2 1-1/2" wood blocks to the front a few inches in from each end. Insertion is very easy and there is almost no vapor leakage. The flight disruption is really not an issue for the couple of minutes the shield is in place. With 2 shields and 2 cups leap-frogging down the line is fast and easy. I leave the shield on after pulling the Vap for just as long as it takes to load and insert the next hive, 30 seconds +/-. By then no vapor escapes and the bees take it amazingly well. The unit sits comfortably on the landing board for stability.

A picture is worth a thousand word as they say but I don't know how to post a picture here. Any help appreciated. I will gladly send a picture to anyone contacting me off-list.

I really like the unit. I have observed bees on the landing still with a dusting of crystals several hours after application. Makes me believe that in-hive distribution is very efficient. The proof of course will be in post treatment testing coming up next week. I'll report.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA