Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2018 18:12:02 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Earlier this year I had a remote hive with a purchased queen develop EFB like symptoms. Tested negative for EFB and AFB, mite count around 2%. Lots of brood dying, rotting in cells and not being cleaned out. Ropy brood when tested. Sour smell when opening the hive. Had it not been so far from any other beeks (was in a national forest enclave), or had it tested postive I would have torched it, but decided to requeen it and see how it went.

I ended up requeening it with a spare VSH breeder, an extremely hygienic line. Checking the hive today, and it is just thriving, no signs of any issues, just doing really well. Nice brood pattern, low mite count, good numbers, smells good.

I've heard of others experiencing similar things. Seeing how it cleared up introducing an extremely hygienic queen, I am wondering if this is related to the queen in some way. Perhaps unhygienic queens with inviable offspring?

I'm looking for any feedback on non AFB/EFB "foul brood like" issues, any published research, or if anyone knows of anyone actively researching this issue I'd appreciate knowing.

Jon Sawyer

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2