From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2018 04:44:35 -0700
a Pete B snip followed by > my comments..
Of the 45 colonies surveyed, workers from 38 colonies (84.4% of the total) exhibited the M4 haplotype, which belongs to the west European A. m. mellifera  subspecies. Workers from the remaining seven colonies (15.6% of the total) exhibited the C1 haplotype, which belongs to the north Mediterranean subspecies A. m. ligustica . We did not find any colonies with the African haplotype A. m. scutellata.

>This study is in conjunction with a summer class where two professors take students from Texas A&M and do field studies.  My wife was a part of that for a while and then when Juliana came on board she participated in the program. Juliana is a good person in this sort of thing since she has traveled extensively in South America and know well how to dress and deal with hostile bees. I was surprised when she informed me after one of those summer time jaunt that they had surveyed the bee population in Dominica and found them to be European..  Juliana first thought was they were likely africanized due to their defensiveness.

>How they did or did not get there... most of those small islands are serviced by small ships that move everything from the mainland to the island.  If there is no major port then likely there is little or nothing that comes ashore in shipping containers.  Everything you buy in this regards is expensive.  The first time you see an old automobile slung across the front of a 40 foot wooden boat it will give you a new understanding of how things are done.  Or as my neighbor once said... poor folks have poor ways.

>Some of us suspect that africanized bees were here long before folks documented them as being in the US.

Gene in Central Texas...