From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:00:22 -0400
Putting aside the effects of neonicotinoids on bees and bumblebees, there is real concern for all the other insects and songbirds as well.

Dr. Christy Morrissey and lab associates published a few years ago on the fact that the neonics do not break down quickly in the field, as had been suggested by the manufacturers, but persisted and concentrated in ponds and streams. This affected all populations of insects either watering in these neonic-laced sources, or completing life cycles in that water. I believe Dr. Morrissey went on to speculate that the resulting drops in insect populations was implicated in the continent-wide songbird/insectivorous bird decline, and further work is I think looking into the direct effects on birds who ingest coated seeds. Which, worryingly, is all the seed eaters.

I am cynical enough about the power of sales figures to question motivational purity on the part of manufacturers and distributors of agri-sprays, ditto on the hope that all agri-sprays will be applied in accordance with label directions. But I am also willing to accept the results of quality research, even if they indicate these compounds are perfectly safe for bees and honeybees.

But beyond our role as beekeepers we have to consider the effects of these compounds on all organisms, not just bees.