From:
medhat nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2020 02:45:36 +0000
James:
I just went over to the sink and did.  I added the acid to the water, and
then added the water to the acid.

Amazingly, I am not just still alive to tell the tale, I am completely
unscathed.
James,
Just looking at science notes, it mentioned the following “ When you mix strong acids and water, it makes a difference whether you add acid to water or water to acid. Always add acid to water and not the other way around.
If you add a little water to a lot of concentrated acid, the resulting solution is still concentrated. The hydration reaction uses all the water (acid is the limiting reactant), generating a lot of heat. The solution violently boils, spitting concentrated acid out of its container. If you add a little concentrated acid to a lot of water, water is the limiting reactant and the resulting solution is more dilute. Here, all the acid reacts, but there is extra water to absorb the heat, lessening the chance of boiling.

Why Add Acid to Water

There are a few factors that make it better to add acid to water. Diluting acid with water is exothermic, so it’s easier to boil and splash water added to acid than acid added to water because water has a high heat capacity and can absorb a lot of heat. Also, some strong acids have a higher specific gravity or density than water. So, if you put water on top of acid, the heat that’s generated is at the acid surface. In this situation, the liquid readily boils and spits. On the other hand, if you pour acid on top of or into water, the water rises over the acid before mixing and contains the reaction.”

Jim what you did is very low concentration. What Jerry mentioned sulphuric acid etc.  I also mentioned Formic acid,

For oxalic acid solubility in water is 90-100 g/L (20 °C). This is only 10% acid. This  is big difference in concentration between the acids mentioned above.

I also mentioned the liability Is set by the suppliers. For sure they have to cover their@$&&.

Safety notes for acid dilutions from science notes

Dilution Safety Tips

In general, the higher the concentration the acid, the greater the greater the heat increase and the higher the chance of boiling and splashing. Be extremely careful diluting any concentrated strong acid. Always wear proper safety gear and work under a fume hood.

Just remember acid to water and Think of A&W root beer.

Medhat Nasr

Edmonton Alberta Canada