Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2020 18:31:54 -0400
The local university opened a department on honey bee research this year and purchased two nucs from me this fall to be kept indoors and used for testing during the winter. Their plan is to keep them in a screened in tent inside a small office. The nuc population will have to increase somewhat since the lab will be using these specimens until their outdoor colonies can be accessed. The university would not allow them to install an exit for the bees to reach the outside. Apparently they were concerned since the exit would face a walking path. Once spring comes and if they survive, they would be moved outdoors. I’m looking for advice on how to make this work and keeping the bees alive until April when they can be reunited with the outside world. My first thought was that feeding 1:1 syrup and pollen sub would be needed in this artificial environment. One of my main concerns though is the bees need for cleansing flights during the next 5 months.

-Trevor