From:
Beekeepers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2020 17:30:40 +0100
>Thymol crystals were ground finer to match those of the confectionary sugar

I would be concerned about the process of grinding to a fine powder.  Crystals are not too bad to handle, although probably best to stay upwind; powder could blow about everywhere so would need good PPE - thymol in eyes, nose or mouth  (and probably other places) is not a good experience.

Higes did some very good work on applying thymol in the early days of varroa, using Petri dishes with holes in the cover and 'teabags'; the teabags were less effective.  The easiest way in my experience is to put the crystals (8g per brood chamber) in an old honey jar lid placed directly on the excluder.  Treatment is very effective if this is done immediately after removing the honey crop.  The original dose was 8g per week for four weeks in the spring before any honey flow and then again after removing the crop.
We quickly found that the spring treatment was not needed and subsequently reduced the number of late summer treatments to three, then two, then one.  Now I am at the point of stopping all treatments.

>I have stayed away from Thymol on account of the intense lingering odor. But I am interested to hear about other's experiences.

Applied in late summer the smell of the thymol is no longer noticeable by the following spring.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W