From:
Dennis LaMonica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2020 15:06:26 -0400
We had a large winter loss during the winter of 2018-2019.  We stored the
deep supers under a tarp with screens top and bottom to keep mice etc. out
until we could clean things up.  We had frames that had large stores of
pollen. There were pantry beetles that began to (apparently) consume the
pollen.  There was no damage to the comb but things were a mess.  They
appeared to be black flour beetles and a few larder beetles.  The ID of the
small black flour beetles is uncertain.  We sealed up the stacks top and
bottom and applied some paramoth in the sealed stacks to see if that would
kill the beatles.  It did not.

We have had panty beetles infest some other stored deeps this year.

How can the pantry beetles be eliminated without applying something that
would harm the bees in the future?

[image: IMG_20190801_174002881_HDR.jpg]
[image: IMG_20190801_174856521.jpg]
[image: IMG_20190802_184906202.jpg]