From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2020 17:43:37 +0000
This study raises the question of whether a female that has already mated
and reproduced, ever mates again.
My Ph.D. thesis focused on grasshopper behaviour, including mating.  Females grasshoppers of many species readily mate when they mature.  They then lay an egg pod in the ground, looks a bit like a bunch of bananas in a frothy/dirt casing.
Once mated, until she lays her egg pod, and then for another 24-48 hrs, she will repulse - literally kick away any males.  But then, her behavior changes, and she mates again.  This cycle is repeated until she dies, usually late summer or fall.
I don't see why something similar may not occur in mites.  My thesis work opened the door to plasticity of mating behavior in grasshoppers.   Jerry