From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2020 00:32:28 +0000
Fail a taste test, don't consider going forward.   Having spent decades testing bees, pollen, wax, and honey - I can assure you that an accurate test for honey isn't likely to be done by a water testing laboratory.  Honey poses difficult and unique challenges as a sample - it is sticky.   One of our associated research groups at a US Dept of Energy lab ignored my cautions and tried analyzing honey using neutron activation - which is a good method for accurate analysis for multiple inorganic compounds, but as they discovered, not for honey.  The irradiated sample exploded inside the reactor, creating a very expensive mess to clean up.
If you really want to have that 60# of honey analyzed, send it to the USDA ARS  National Science Laboratory in Gastonia.  It specializes in screening food products, including bees, wax, pollen, honey.  Roger Simmonds is himself a beekeeper.  Before sending samples, email or call Roger or Jonathan, who supervises sample preparation and analyses.  You need to follow a proper sampling protocol, including best way to ship, etc.
The analysis won't be cheap, but it will be informative.  In fact, it could be a really nice research sample for retrospective monitoring, something that the former US Bureau of Standards, now NIST might be interested in having.

First, after 60 years, it should be a worst case scenario for leaching of inorganics into honey.  Second, it has far more value for identifying and quantifying the organic pesticide residue levels in honey during the Rachel Carson Silent Spring time-frame, when DDT was one of the most common insecticides.  Plus, since the neonicotinoids appeared in the mid-1990s, it would be a test for any possible analysis errors in detection of this group of pesticides.
More than once, we've found that something already present in nature can provide false positives.  I worked with the Bureau of Standards on Specimen Banking for the specific purposed of long-term storage of food and other samples, so that when someone, with new, more sensitive information proclaimed a dramatic increase in chemical X, one could test to see if that increase was real or an artifact of newer technology.  I remember one organic chemical found in waterfowl during the time I worked with the Banking program that set off a minor panic.  A panic until someone found birds and eggs from a couple of decades before in a FW&P Freezer.  When these old samples were analyzed with the new instrumentation, everyone realized that the levels had been that high or higher decades before, and if anything, were slowing decreasing in amount.
This would be an interesting project for ABJ or Bee Culture.  Send samples of the 60 pounds in a tin can to Gastonia and a comparable sample of 2019 honey in plastic (seems to be the US norm), have Gastonia run a complete inorganic and organic chemical screen, compare the results.  It should be eye opening.
Jerry