Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2020 22:37:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
> What is the typical orientation of comb in regards to entrance direction in natural cavities (Parallel or perpendicular)?

I have been trying to dig up info on survival rates of bees in skeps. I did find this:

> It is interesting that bees in skeps, being left to manage their own comb and be in control of their own ventilation predominantly draw their comb the "cold way" (in parallel lines pointing toward the entrance). I usually face the entrances southwards, and had wondered if the North- South alignment was perhaps magnetic, however I recently had an entrance facing WSW and they aligned the comb the "cold way" still. I am constantly enchanted and surprised at their behaviour. Last winter a colony in a wicker hive (sometimes referred to as an alveary) with a letter box entrance sealed their door with a curtain of propolis, leaving just two bee sized round holes (Skep Beekeeping: Research, Resurgence and Resilience. By Chris Park)

PS. The "warm way" vs "cold way" is another of those things that has been debated to death
Peter L Borst

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2