From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2019 11:35:32 -0500

>  Has anyone actually measured the difference with and without the wait? A
> ten minute wait would be a big change in my methods.

I suggest everyone try using the wand just once in the open (with
protective equipment, and standing back some 20 feet or so), with a timer
in hand to see just how the wand actually operates. It depends largely on
the power source you plug the device up to, at least mine did. When I plug
mine in, it takes at least 2 min for the wand to heat up to the point that
the OA begins to sublime. Sometimes up to 5 min. Then another 2 min or so
for all of the OA to actually sublime. Longer on the heatup time if I try
to use a smaller lawn battery. But every device will be slightly different.
If I heated up for 2 min and pulled it out, I'd have a hot bowl of smoking
acid.

Direct to your question though, I've never done the "wait" and never
noticed a difference. I let the wand heat up, let the wand sublime the
acid, then give it another min or two (insurance) before pulling the wand
and rag out, dipping in water and moving onto the next hive. I've since
moved onto the gun type, and don't even bother plugging up the entrance
(treating from a hole in the back of the hive). I'll see OA escape out the
bottom, but also see OA escape out of every crack in the hive. It tells me
its being spread fairly consistently throughout the hive almost
instantaneously. And I haven't noticed a difference in efficacy (although I
haven't tested it side by side).