From:
Mike Randell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2019 15:17:14 -0400
Hi;

We've been pollinating apples in the Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada since 1953.

1.  What are growers asking for in terms of hives per acre?  I have the
university recommendations but want to know what growers want.

The general practice is nearly 1 hive per acre, although better growers will put up to 2 hives per acre in delicious and its derivatives as they are harder to pollinate, due to the shape of the blossom.

2.  What kind of hive placement do growers want?  I know apple orchards can
be difficult to navigate so how do hives get placed?

Best practice is to put hives in groups of 8-12 in sunny locations within the orchard.  Usually where bins are loaded is open and sunny and gives the beekeeper room to load and unload.  Bees start earlier and fly more if they are placed on upside down apple bins to get them out of the morning cool air.

3.  What are current prices?

Prices are trending upward, currently $75/hive for large drops and up to $100 for small orders (4 or less hives)

4.  How do bees fare on apple pollination?  Do hives generally improve or
decline?

Bees can do very well on the dandelion bloom that is concurrent with apple bloom.  Apples do have nectar in the 20% range and are a good pollen source.  Growers should be informed that the dandelion bloom does not complete with the apple bloom, since dandelions dehisce pollen and yield nectar in the morning, apples (and pears) release pollen and nectar in the early to mid afternoon.  Dandelions are often mowed before the bees come in - dandelions are the fuel for apple pollination...

5.  How long do bees stay in apples and at what stage of bloom is it best
to put them in the orchards?

Depends on  the varieties.  Apples yields are best with cross pollination between varieties.  Best practice is to bring bees in at mid bloom of the earliest variety when king bloom is opening on the next variety.  Some growers like to pollinate only the king bloom on Macintosh and derivatives.  Two or three days of good flight weather is usual for most varieties to set a good crop - but this could take a week or more to arrive in the spring.  Most apples will set too much fruit with good pollination and thinning sprays or hand thinning will be required.

6.  What kinds of problems are encountered on apple pollination?

Weather.  In good weather the growers want bees all in at the same time, and out fairly quickly after.  Bad weather can cause the usual mud and access problems, and cause the pollination period to drag on - tying up hives that will be used in blueberries.  Good growers practice IPM and pesticide kills are rarely a problem in our region.  Occasionally one grower in an orchard area will "have to" spray and since bees don't respect fences, we may have to pull out 100s of hives to accommodate one (usually small) grower.