From:
Beekeepers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2019 17:54:22 +0100
>First the location of the cell (side wall vs the bottom of the frame) would make this determination either easy or difficult to distinguish <ie side wall easy but bottom of frame not so much.

In my experience genuine supersedure cells would almost never be at the bottom of the frame.

Agree absolutely about brood nest re-arrangement.  It is very easy to isolate the queen from part of the brood box by for example inserting foundation or moving honey filled frames from the outside.  The portion with the queen in will then feel crowded and there will be a lack of space for egg laying, whilst the bees on the other side of the 'barrier' may get less queen substance and build cells.

I learnt this lesson some years ago when I used a Jenter box which was mounted in an empty frame.  I released the queen after she had laid up the box, but I left the Jenter box and frame in the centre of the brood box and the queen did not cross that barrier.  They built queen cells and swarmed!

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W