Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2019 23:50:32 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
This topic is somewhat related to the interesting ongoing discussion about pollen analysis.

I recently came across a pamphlet published in 1920 (“List of British Columbia Flora Furnishing Both Nectar and Pollen” Compiled by John Davidson, Assistant Professor of Botany, UBC), listing the characteristics of honey originating from various plants. It got me wondering who first made such a list.

Descriptions in these lists have varied slightly over the years. Take sweet clover as an example.

The earliest description I found was in the 1905 edition of "ABC of Bee Culture" (page 206). E. R. Root said of sweet clover honey:

“ ...while white, has somewhat of a greenish caste. It has a delicate minty flavor that is prized by many.”

In 1920, John Davidson said of sweet clover:

“ Honey slightly green. Cinnamon flavour.”

And in her 1975 book “Honey”, Eva Crane wrote that sweet clover honey is:

“White or light greenish yellow honey of good quality with a delicate flavour like cinnamon or vanilla.”

I think I have collected sweet clover honey some years but I’ve never noticed a greenish tinge or cinnamon flavour. I think I’d notice a cinnamon flavour. Of course I can’t be positive it was sweet clover honey that I was tasting without some other sort of identify test. So I am hopeful that a simple DNA test becomes available. Pollen analysis sounds a bit unreliable and difficult. 

Has anyone come across an earlier description of various honeys than E. R. Root's?

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2