Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2021 23:18:07 +0000
From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Based on our bee conditioning experiments, we've learned that with heavy flows, the foragers dump nectar into any open cell in the brood nest during the day, plugging out the nest until night, when the nectar is moved up.
If using bees for pollination, they more or less become useless if they don't have brood and an open brood nest.
Merely adding supers on top isn't the answer.  We don't use queen excluders and find that the easiest way to fix the problem is a box of empty combs placed under or on top of the box with the main brood nest.
That stops the dumping in brood comb, and it also seems to send a message that we haven't finished filling up the stores.  Empty comb on top of mostly filled honey combs doesn't work as well.--------------------