Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2020 08:46:11 -0400
From:
My bees exhibited ABPV after invasions by bees from away. Several years
ago, when I started OAV treatment in the fall, one hive showed massive ABPV
with dead and dying bees in front of the hives. I treated with OAV and the
hive survived the winter.
The next year, at our Annual Conference, a commercial beekeeper noted the
same effect on several of his hives that had Bee Paralysis. After the OAV,
the disease was cleaned up. This is strictly anecdotal, but I have not seen
ABPV since I started using OAV.

The key to success with OAV is in practicing IPM-  know your mite loads
throughout the season, and especially after the season is supposedly over
here in the NE. As long as bees can fly, there can be quick spikes in mite
loads in a once clean hive. One OAV treatment will not clean them up. I
have to treat every third day until I get the mite drop low, and that is
less than 20. These are actual mite drops, not an alcohol wash. Usually
about 4-5 treatments does it. Then another treatment when they are
"broodless' around Thanksgiving and my mite load the next year is near zero
until the fall. At this time I have all the beekeepers I know of in our
area treating with OAV and we all are fairly mite free.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine