Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
> As it happens, "thelytokous parthenogenesis" is not unique to capensis, and therefore cannot be used as a certain sign that capensis genes are present. This paper was discussed here briefly when it came out (see archives):

Yes, I agree. 

I felt that Felipe's question ( Has anyone come across references about genetic analysis suggesting the presence of capensis in the New World?)  was a little different because I interpreted the discussion in Brazil to be about the possible importation of capensis at some point when Kerr was importing scuts and are they still around and a possible threat. My response is anywhere you bring scuts you will see capensis mitochondrial evidence, so one can't determine, from the limited genetic analysis we have,  whether they were or are still there.  

The trait that allows thelytokous parthenogenesis may be present in many subspecies but capensis combines it with parasite behavior when introduced to other subspecies, and that doesn't happen when mixing European subspecies capable of the same type of parthenogenesis. So we can put the subject of genetics aside because it means very little about identifying capensis without the presence of the parasitic behavior which is observational and a dead giveaway. 

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2