From:
Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2018 19:22:13 +0100
> I'm reminded of the current situation in the UK where some beekeepers put great store on their bees looking (superficially) like A. mellifera mellifera in the belief that it gives them some special desirable characteristics.
As someone who is trying to help conserve the native honey bee of the UK
I know quite  a lot of /Amm/ queen rearers and can't say that any of
them are selecting for appearance alone.  In fact I wonder how some have
the time to  monitor such a large number of behavioural traits.  Others
are also working closely with academic institutions to include DNA
analysis in their selection criteria.

Steve Rose
North Wales

---