HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2022 02:44:56 +0000
Hi all,
Many of you are aware of this opportunity since I send this call out regularly to a few distribution lists but I wanted to cast my net broadly this time. For about the past 14 years my colleague and I at  the University of Idaho have had an archaeochemistry thing going.  Basically, I round up samples and my colleague works with students to test them. The bulk of the work has been identifying unknown contents in bottles, but for particular reasons we have also tested things like fabric, tooth filings, slag, concrete, gun powder etc. The benefit of this program is that is a great teaching tool for students and for the archaeologists who send us materials get stuff tested for free (well actually the cost of shipping the stuff to us.).  I am putting the call out to all of you to think creatively about how you might be able to take advantage of this. My chemistry colleague is very good at recruiting students and they are going through samples almost as soon as they get them in these days.  If you have particular questions about testing I can put you in touch with my colleague, or I could send you a couple of the "typical" reports that students produce, or some of the articles that are out there describing some of our past work stuff.  Please think about sending us samples to test, we've got the labor to handle it --  and don't be shy about sending us 10, 20, 30 samples (or more) at a time. One caveat is they generally work at the macro level-meaning it looks like there is visible stuff in the bottle, etc-they are not doing stuff like blood residue from lithics.   Also, don't hesitate to share this call with your related networks (CNEHA, SEAC, COVA, NWAC etc.).

All best,
Mark Warner
University of Idaho
208.885.5954