HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2018 19:04:22 -0500
I too would suggest a combination of weight and volume or mass and displacement - just grab a graduated glass vessel larger than the object, fill to a convenient volume with water and then plop the object in and record the change in volume. I assume the object has already been washed so immersion in water would have no impact. Look up the weight of lead by volume and do the math.

It is my understanding that historically gauge is a function of the number of lead balls that can be cast from a pound of lead. Hence the higher the gauge the smaller the diameter of the barrel of the gun so a 12 gauge is larger than a 20 gauge etc. The corollary is that caliber in diameter in decimal inches.

Silas Hurry
HSMC