From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:53:23 -0400
>> if when varroa feed on fat bodies if it permanently reduces the amount of
royal jelly and wax young bees can produce.

The cellular machinery involved in the production of wax has a relationship to fat bodies. During wax production, typically day 11-18 following emergence, the wax gland area becomes enriched with fat cells and oenocytes in support of wax production. The exact process is still unknown, but at about day 19, both the wax glands and the supporting cells thin out and shrink. I'd speculate that a disruption in the production of fat bodies would also hinder wax production.

Also, there is an interesting difference between the constituents of thoracic wax and abdominal wax in terms of the esters produced, which I'm guessing has something to do with pheromonal signals.  We've discussed this before, but for those that want more on the subject, see Bee Culture March 31, 2015

https://www.beeculture.com/a-closer-look-beeswax-wax-glands/