From:
Kevin McMahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 2020 17:14:47 -0600

It is not very cold here right now, especially as it would compare to
the Yukon. It's about 30°F outside.   Hives are wrapped 3 sides with
reflectix insulation.
The Southern face is left exposed. (other hives are fully wrapped and
some not at all just to compare in spring).  There is no upper vent on
any hives.
Solid bottom board with a wide open entrance with hardware cloth (ala
Mike Palmer).
The second photo shows a split cluster for the hive on the
right...that's because it's two colonies separated by a double screened
board.

As much as I tried, I could not get my Flir to pick up much if any
discernible heat loss at the lower entrance, which was a bit surprising.