From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2020 13:48:19 -0500
Here is another form of research that can be used and not kill any bees on purpose :). Great for local clubs, citizen science and independent researchers.
So far I have 35 beekeepers with a total of 580 poly hives who responded. (5 minutes of my time to put the survey together and 7 days of waiting)
I should have added a couple more questions concerning their management approach (Feed Syrup, Pollen Patties, Mite treatment, Fumigilin, etc...)

But here are the early results that always lead to more questions (the Why).
-No Top Ventilation + Screened Bottom associated with better survival in colder locations (Why)
-Weak Colony is main reason given for failures (Why? - Volume, Late Spilts, Health, Poor Queen?)
-Starvation is second reason (Why? - Poor fall prep, beek philosophy NO FEEDING, die with stores in hive)
-Varroa main reason given for those who have warmer winters (Why?)
-Adding extra top insulation may not be beneficial (Polys cover are already insulated) (Why?)

Beekeepers have the answers we just need to learn to ask the right questions.
A reason many people don't like doing surveys is the researcher never gets back to them with the results and/or observations.

As I share the results back to the groups on social media, forums, more people will complete the survey

Link to survey (Thank you in advanced)
https://forms.gle/bg5NSCHYSW36eihY6