From:
Alex Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2020 15:34:46 -0400
Back to apivar, which ties into this discussion.

My biggest concern with using apivar is the risk of a supercedure, or new
queen event while the strips are in the colony.

I haven't necessarily seen any issues with already mated queens and apivar
and brood, but I've had some issues with superceded/new queens with apivar
present.

I noticed the manufacturer doesn't recommend the strips for queen rearing.
This is the same company that has tried to convince beekeepers that there's
"no residues", so I'd imagine there's more to the story than this quote:

*"There are no counter-indications to the use of Apivar in the presence of
queen cells, or non-mated young queens. The use of Apivar is safe and the
product was developed with the primary objective of not harming the colony,
or its constituents. For beekeepers rearing queens, it is recommended that
colonies be treated prior to commencement of queen rearing activities, and
strips be removed before starting the production of queens, in the absence
of specific data concerning Apivar use while rearing queens."*