From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2020 22:44:10 +0000
Certainly, Dick is correct about the statistical limitations.
In MT, we are seeing an upswing in number of confirmed cases.  We've lost our position as one of the lowest rates in the nation.
Three trends are evident in our county by county data.  The rural counties are seeing localized outbreaks, when earlier they had no or little evidence of COVID.  That is partially due to finally getting some testing done in those areas.   Across the state, localized clusters of confirmed infections have shown up after weddings and funerals, or among extended families and group living.  Like Arizona, we've had an outbreak on one of our Native American Reservations.  Second, excluding senior citizen care facilities, those who are as old or older than I have had a very low rate of infection, it's the 20-40 year olds who have the highest rates.  Like Dick, it seems that in MT, independently living senior citizens are taking appropriate protection measures.
Although many predictive models for COVID disperal have missed the mark, one is of interest.  It dealt with who should be isolated for the greatest impact on slowing the virus, and the answer was the 30-50 year olds.  The rationale is that this is the pivot group that contacts all age groups, from kids to parents and grandparents.  Finally and sadly, our first, concentrated, deaths occurred early in the outbreak, in a senior citizen home, in a rural town, near the Canadian border.  The second started a couple of weeks ago in a Memory Center (Alzheimer's, Dementia patients) in Billings.  Most of the patients and many of the staff tested positive, and the deaths are still occurring.  I should note, after the initial cases in northern MT, the governor offered expedited testing to senior care facilities.  Most took him up on the offer, 5 in the state did not.  Of those five, according to press reports, the Billings facility passed on the offer.
Finally, as per the large number of cases in meat processing plants.  I well-educated, informed colleague of mine moved to S. Dakota during that period.  His report - the large, mostly Chinese owned, meat processing plant, hired lots of temporary, migrant worker, help.  Many of the employees who contracted the disease were from houses where groups of them lived to save on housing costs.  It appears that the spread was not so much in the meat processing plants, but rather between groups of employees sharing housing.
I don't remember seeing any press that reported that bit of information, but it certainly seems possible, if not probable.
Jerry