From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2020 07:04:12 -0700
Back around 1980, we built a building at our County fairgrounds for a
beekeeping exhibit.  I installed two 4-frame observation hives in the
wall.  For a few years, I allowed the bees to fly out into a cage, but then
the Fair got extended from 3 days to 5 days each year.  So I
installed 1-1/2" plastic pipe going to the roof of the building, with clear
tubes overhead where  visible to those observing the hives, so that they
could see the bee traffic.  The bees fly free from the roof vent pipes,
above head level, for the duration of the Fair each year.

Those bees have now for many years flown above the thousands of people at
the Fair each year, and everyone is happy.  Our booth has long been one of
the most popular booths at the Fair.

Then a few years ago I built and additional exhibit -- a collapsible
hexagonal cage with black screen standing 10 ft high, open at the top, and
placed it in the livestock area.  Inside we place a hive on a stand,
allowing the bees to fly free out the top (there is a necessary trick, so
ask me if you plan to copy).  Once a day an unprotected beekeeper steps
inside the cage and performs a hive inspection, with a large audience
surrounding the cage, children with their faces near the screen.  We can
pull a frame and hold it in front of people's faces and answer questions.

This free-flying caged hive provides the public with an entirely different
experience than the observation hives, since there is no glass between the
viewers and the bees.  It completely changes the perspective of the viewing
public, and is very popular.  As we inspect the hive we explain all about
bees and beekeeping, and the benefit of free pollination to everyone with a
garden or fruit trees.  Again, the Fair loves the exhibit, as does the
public.  People ask us if we're looking for more properties for placing bee
hives.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA