From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2020 21:34:39 -0500
Here is the data so far on that 5 frame nuc. It is actually a 2017 queen that is in it. Instead of pinching her when I was re-queening,  I decided to run this experiment. I split her off late July and ran her in a double 5 frame polystyrene box until mid September. I that point I pushed them all into the one box and used the 5 frame box to create extra insulation for the top. They are actually 6 frame boxes but I go with 5 frames and add 3/4" pine board on either side - help absorb moisture and they create more propolis in "principal". I will use rough lumber next year. If it works, I will be setting one of these up for each of my wintering doubles or singles. The goal is to give me more overwintering size options (Doubles, Singles and these nucs) due to our shorter seasons trying to get later splits to a double is almost impossible especially if August weather turns cold early. And it also gives me downsizing options if the clusters are too small for a double going into winter!!

It would have been nice to have a TH sensor (Temp/Humidity) but I ran out.

This exercise is show and help me better understand size of enclosure vs number of bees relationships. So far so good.